Uphold was created on the principle of transparency. In order to safeguard our members, our partners and our services, we implement state-of-the-art, real-time Know Your Customer (KYC) controls. As such, new user must go through a verification and authentication process in order to become an Uphold member and use our service.
Regulatory Compliance & Anti-Money Laundering (AML) Controls
We implement best-in-class compliance and Anti-Money Laundering controls to ensure our verification and identification processes are industry leading and suspicious activity is identified, reconciled and acted upon real-time. We’re committed to leading the industry in compliance with applicable laws and regulations, in the United States, in the United Kingdom and internationally regarding anti-money laundering and identity verification. See how we engage with Law Enforcers.
Leading the industry with
- Customer, employee, member, business partner and developer partner identification verification, and ongoing, real-time due diligence.
- Full compliance with Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) regulations. Including real-time identification and investigation of unusual activity, and suspicious activity reporting.
- Currency transaction reports and other reporting requirements triggered by transaction volumes and specified activity patterns as articulated in the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA).
- Compliance with BSA record keeping requirements.
- Compliance with lawful requests for information from law enforcement with the authority to make such requests.
Member Data & Privacy Protection
Uphold is passionately committed to securing members accounts and protecting our members privacy and data at all times. Uphold has created industry-leading technology to adhere to all local, state, federal and international law to protect Personally Identifiable Information (PII) and any personal data collected from our members is done in accordance with the highest industry standards. See our Privacy & Data Policy.
The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard PCI/DSS
PCI/DSS is a set of requirements created by the major payment card brands (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and JCB), designed to ensure that ALL companies that process, store or transmit credit card information maintain a secure environment. Its primary focus is to improve payment account security throughout the transaction process and it is administered and managed by an independent body, the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council.
Uphold is a pioneer in our space when it comes to security of our consumers: we are one of the first companies working with digital currencies to become certified to PCI/DSS, one of the most stringent security standards in the industry. Being compliant means that we are doing our very best to keep our members' valuable information safe and secure and out of the hands of people who could use that data in a fraudulent way.