About Microsoft (MSFT)
Who hasn't heard of Microsoft?
Founded in April 1975 by childhood friends Bill Gates and Paul Allen, Microsoft saw an opportunity to develop software for the growing range of personal and business computers that were coming onto the market.
Starting with MS-DOS (Microsoft Disk Operating System), Microsoft signed a supply contract with IBM, and almost overnight became integral to business computing globally.
In March 1986, Microsoft listed on the NASDAQ (Microsoft Stock Ticker: MSFT) at $21.00 per share - turning thousands of employees into millionaires and the founders into billionaires.
Ever since, Microsoft has been at the forefront of business and consumer computing - with PCs, servers, cloud, internet, computer gaming, phones, and many consumer devices.
Microsoft stock price
Microsoft's stock price went through a significant lift during the late '90s before dropping and staying relatively stable between $15 and $35 for much of the next 14 years.
From 2014, around the time that current CEO Satya Nadella took over from long-time CEO Steve Ballmer, the Microsoft share price has steadily climbed to over $200 in 2020 ($208.90 at the time of writing).
Unlike exchange trading platforms that make it difficult to buy shares or cryptocurrencies, Uphold’s simple interface makes it incredibly easy for you to trade and hold shares - as well as cryptocurrencies, stablecoins, precious metals, and national currencies. With Uphold, you can exchange from Anything-to-Anything, instantly. There is no easier way to trade between multiple asset classes.
What the bears are saying
- Microsoft has competitors on all sides: Cloud? Amazon. Tablets? Apple. Gaming? Sony. The list goes on. While Microsoft missed many of the biggest trends in the world yet still survived, competitors are coming at Microsoft with AI, Cloud Compute, and blockchain solutions that could unseat it.
- Antitrust concerns: Just like the other tech majors, Microsoft has been plagued by government inquiries and lawsuits over its market dominance and commercial practices.
- Rate of growth may be limited: Sure, Microsoft can undoubtedly grow as more of the world joins the internet and cloud revolution. However, steep growth trajectories might be a thing of the past.
What the bulls are saying
- Microsoft is so big; it's hard to attack: Microsoft has such strong technological prowess and track record in several key commercial and consumer products and services that it's difficult to imagine the company unseated.
- Its products are popular in both business AND consumer markets: The COVID-19 global pandemic saw Microsoft make significant sums both from sales of business computers as well as things like Xbox - as millions of people worked and entertained themselves at home.
- Azure Cloud - it’s Amazon’s #1 competitor: Microsoft Azure is the world's top cloud provider, thanks to seamless integration with all of its business and consumer software.
How to invest in Microsoft stock with Uphold
Here’s how fast and easy it is to get started:
- Go to Uphold.com and click ‘Sign up’.
- Enter your email address, create a password, and complete an identity check.
- Your account will then be activated, and you can start using Uphold.
You can then fund your account with your debit card, credit card, bank account, or crypto deposit.
Your Uphold account can be used to make payments to vendors, send money to friends on the other side of the world, and more
Uphold’s unique ‘Anything-to-Anything’ trading experience will make any exchange a seamless process, all commission-free.
*U.S. stock trading is not available in the U.S., U.K., and certain other jurisdictions.
This article is for informational purposes only and takes no account of particular personal or market circumstances, and should not be relied upon as investment, tax, or legal advice. For investment, tax, or legal advice, and before taking any action you should consult your own advisors. Note that assets such as equities present unique risks for investors.
This content is correct as of October 2020
Get more coin for your coin
0% deposit fees 0% withdrawal fees