Please note: like most trading venues, we display the current mid-market rates in our price charts. When you trade, you get the current bid or ask price depending on whether you are buying or selling. There is always a slight difference between the mid-market and the current bid or ask prices. This is a natural result of how Exchange order books work.
About Dogecoin (DOGE)
Dogecoin was created in December 2013. It's often referred to as the ‘meme’ coin and for good reason. Doge was created as Bitcoin started to be taken seriously and subsequently became valuable.
The creators of Doge thought that crypto should be a laugh and not so uptight. So they came up with an alternative coin whose goal was to make the industry fun again.
The face of Dogecoin is a Shiba Inu dog.
Dogecoin took the community spirit of crypto to new levels. Followers of Dogecoin call themselves Shibes. They even have their own Shibe language made up of funny broken English phrases like, “such amazing”, “much grateful” and “many works”.
You could argue Dogecoin was created as a joke - but the crypto has a huge following and community members ‘tip’ each other Doge for content.
What are DOGE's goals?
The developers of Dogecoin haven’t made any changes to the crypto since 2015. There are three developers who work as part-time volunteers. Apart from security updates, the core code remains the same
The goal is to become the defacto standard fun cryptocurrency with a strong community. Elon Musk says Dogecoin is his favorite crypto.
Simply put, like most assets, Dogecoin derives its value from how much people are willing to pay for it. Since Dogecoin is stored and transferred online, the price is determined globally. It’s the same wherever you are. Any price differences between exchanges are soon arbitraged out by traders.
How much Doge is on the open market?
There are 125,297,665,179 Doge tokens on the open market, but supply is unlimited.
What the bears are saying about Dogecoin (DOGE)
- Unlimited supply: If a currency has unlimited supply then in theory it can never materially rise in value.
- Dogecoin founder is bearish: Jackson Palmer has said he thinks there is too much hype and that alone underpins Dogecoin’s value.
- It was created as a ‘Joke’ coin: Never designed to solve problems or become the next Bitcoin. There’s no roadmap with lofty ambitions. So why would you invest?
What the bulls are saying about Dogecoin (DOGE)
- High profile: Even now, when you think of cryptocurrencies you can name and that your kids know because they’ve seen the memes - Dogecoin is up there. Could its high profile and celebrity fans woo developers and lead to something useful.
- Cost of entry: Doge costs less than a cent. Speculators like to see the potential for plenty of upside.
How to buy Dogecoin (DOGE)
With Uphold, you can buy digital currencies in just 11 clicks - even if you don’t have an account yet.
Nothing could be easier.
Here’s how fast it is to get started:
1. Go toand click .
2. Enter your email address and personal details.
3. Click the link we send you and create a password
… and you’re off to the races!
Just start trading.
Get more coin for your coin
0% withdrawal fees