Please note: like most trading venues, we display the current mid-market rates in our price charts. When you trade, you get the current bid or ask price depending on whether you are buying or selling. There is always a slight difference between the mid-market and the current bid or ask prices. This is a natural result of how Exchange order books work.
Note: this cryptocurrency is not available for withdrawal to external crypto wallets. It can be bought, held, and sold on Uphold.
About Elrond (EGLD)
Native token of the Elrond blockchain, multi-faceted EGLD can be used for staking, governance and transacting smart contracts. It’s how validation gets rewarded. EGLD runs the network.
Elrond aims to incentivize a distributed network of computers to run a smart contract platform, fostering an ecosystem of decentralized applications (dApps) key to decentralized finance (DeFi). DeFi-focused protocols continue to attract investors and captivate the financial landscape.
Elrond employs two unique features.
One is Adaptive State Sharding. This is the process of splitting the Elrond infrastructure to support more transactions/applications.
Another is Secure Proof-of-Stake (SPoS). This is the consensus mechanism devised to synchronize separate network components to a common ledger.
Elrond having smart contract compatibility owes to the Arwen Virtual Machine. (A quick search of “Arwen Virtual Machine” leads.)
Sharding is a term you may have come across; it involves breaking up a blockchain into multiple pieces or shards, increasing transaction speed. Transactions, divided between different clusters of validator nodes, processing shards in parallel, weird, wild, who knew?
Elrond’s adaptive stake sharding takes this idea to the next level by dividing transactions, validators, and even the record of transactions between shards. It’s all there in thereleased in November 2018.
More history: In June 2019, the project raised $1.9 million from a group of early-stage private investors. Later that same month, Elrond held an Initial Exchange Offering (IEO). That raised $3.25 million in exchange for one-fourth of its total token supply.
At the time, Elrond distributed its native token, ERD; after the project launched its mainnet (in July 2020), Elrond switched to EGLD, enabling investors to swap ERD for EGLD. Momentum has been sparked by the launch of the Maiar exchange. It’s a DeFi protocol built on the Elrond network, allowing users to supply/swap liquidity.
The final component Elrond needs to complete to reach main net maturity is the Maiar wallet, its user-friendly front end. Elrond envisions having billions of users by 2040.
The current price of EGLD
As of early November 2021, EGLD was about $274. It reached its all-time high of about $300 in September of 2021. Since October of 2020, EGLD has risen more than 4,000%.
How the price of EGLD is determined
EGLD supply is limited; the maximum supply can never exceed 31,415,926 EGLD, but this number will decrease as more transactions are processed.
The original Elrond token, ERD, had a maximum supply of 20 billion.
Elrond’s revamped economic model was meant to make EGLD scarce, while maintaining the financial incentives required to run a PoS chain, according to analysts writing a piece on.
Investors may seek to buy EGLD and add it to their portfolio should they believe the market will favor scalable application platforms.
What the bulls are saying about Elrond (EGLD)
- Elrond continues to integrate and continues to make partnerships. Elrond’s “ecosystem is expanding just as fast as Solana.”-
- According to data from , market conditions for EGLD have been favorable for some time.
- ”It’s often said that there is no single crypto project that can do it all. This may be true, but there is one that comes close, Elrond. It has combined the scarcity of Bitcoin, the programmability of Ethereum and the speed of next-generation cryptos, like Solana (SOL) to create a network unlike any other.” - .
What the bears are saying about Elrond (EGLD)
- The EGLD price was rising in the fall of 2021 because of the overall rebound of the markets but "this is likely a dead cat bounce," , pointing to the possibility of a coming bearish trend.
- While things seem to be heading in favor of the bulls, a breakdown of support levels likely will invalidate the bull thesis and indicate weakness among buyers, opening the path for further downswings, .
- While things seem to be going well, a technical breakdown will indicate a weakness among buyers, in September 2021.
How to buy Elrond (EGLD)
With Uphold, you can buy digital currencies in just 11 clicks - even if you don’t have an account yet.
Nothing could be easier.
Here’s how fast it is to get started:
1. Go toand click .
2. Enter your email address and personal details.
3. Click the link we send you and create a password
… and you’re off to the races!
Just start trading.
Get more coin for your coin
0% withdrawal fees